Hesston College Bel Canto Singers will travel east for a spring break tour from March 13-22 with performances in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio.
The 18-voice mixed chamber choir, under the direction of Dr. Russell Adrian, will present a program called “Deep Peace”. The program is inspired by this year’s theme verse at Hesston College, Ephesians 4:2-3, in which Paul calls Christians to uplift one another in community: “Be thoroughly humble and meek; be patient, bear one another with love. Strive to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. The concert presents works a cappella and accompanied with special music by soloists and small ensembles
At some locations, the Bel Canto concert will be a collaboration with local Mennonite high school choirs. A live stream link for the home concert in Hesston and the full tour schedule can be found at www.hesston.edu/music.
The tour itinerary includes:
- Sunday, March 13, 10:30 a.m., Lindale Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Virginia.
- Sunday, March 13, 4 p.m., Park View Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Virginia.
- Monday, March 14, Shalom Christian Academy, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
- Monday, March 14, 7 p.m., Slate Hill Mennonite Church, Harrisburg, PA.
- Tuesday, March 14, Lancaster Mennonite School, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Tuesday, March 14, 7 p.m. Ridgeview Mennonite Church, Lancaster, PA, with Lancaster Mennonite School Chorale
- Wednesday, March 16, Dock Mennonite Academy, Lansdale, Pennsylvania.
- Wednesday, March 16, 7 p.m. Franconia Mennonite Church, Telford, Pennsylvania.
- Thursday, March 17, 7 p.m., Sonnenberg Mennonite Church, Kidron, Ohio, with Central Christian Varsity Singers
- Friday, March 18, Central Christian High School, Kidron, Ohio
- Friday, March 18, 7 p.m., Zion Mennonite Church, Archbold, Ohio
- Tuesday, March 22, 7 p.m., Hesston Mennonite Church, Hesston, Kan. Members of the public can also join via live stream
The 2021-2022 academic year marks the 38th season of the Bel Canto Singers, Hesston College’s premier choral ensemble. Bel Canto Singers enables students from a wide range of disciplines to make music an important part of their college experience. The group organizes ambitious programs of concerts and tours every year. These performance opportunities cultivate leadership skills that serve students well in their next stages of life. Recent jury appearances have included performances for VOCES8, Chanticleer, the King’s Singers, Charles Bruffy and the Rose Ensemble.
Bel Canto members include Anna Banman of Lenexa, Kan.; Bethany Masters of Mount Eaton, Ohio; Kelly Miller of Archbold, Ohio; Isaac Tice of Buhler, Kan.; Rachel Teeter of Hesston, Kan.; Alyssa Burkholder of Goessel, Kan.; Meg Beyer, Kara Longenecker, Ginny Miller, Luke Huyard and Sam Groff of Harrisonburg, Va.; Alyssa Nolt of Dalton, Ohio; Sadie Oesch of Caldwell, Idaho; Luke Allison of Freeman, SD; Jack Shingler of Kidron, Ohio; Abraham Cadillo Quispe of Yokohama, Japan; Jesse Kanagy of Lancaster, Pennsylvania; and Aidan Swartzendruber of Henderson, Neb.