Japanese musician Keigo Oyamada has resigned as composer for the Tokyo 2020 opening ceremony after old reports of his bullying and abusive behavior resurfaced, days before the official start of performances. Olympic Games affected by the pandemic.
Oyamada, who was commissioned to compose the music for the ceremony scheduled for July 23, has come under fire in recent weeks after back issues of the magazines began circulating online.
Oyamada told Quick Japan magazine published in 1995 how he locked a classmate in a cardboard box and made fun of a disabled student, the Asahi Shimbun daily reported last week. He also described the bullying of a classmate in another magazine published in the mid-1990s, according to the newspaper.
Some media accounts of the interviews contain references to degrading and abusive treatment, including Oyamada forcing another child or children to eat feces or masturbate. Reuters could not independently verify the interviews, although alleged photos of the magazine’s pages have circulated widely on social media.
“Regarding my participation in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, I have a strong feeling that accepting the request was disrespectful to various people,” Oyamada said on his Twitter page.
“I have made arrangements with the parties concerned and tendered my resignation to the organizing committee.”